Built by Robert "King" Carter and completed in 1735, Christ Church is a National Historic Landmark and one of America's great buildings. It is the finest and best preserved parish church from colonial Virginia. The building retains most of its original elements, including its molded-brick doorways, classical entablature, high-backed pews, triple-deck pulpit and stone pavers. The elaborately carved tombs of Robert Carter and his two wives stand in the churchyard. The site includes an interactive museum, attractive gift shop, research room, and a conference/education center. Special educational programs and community events take place throughout the year.