Commissioned by Robert "King" Carter and completed in 1735, Christ Church is a National Historic Landmark and one of America's great buildings. A combination of enslaved, indentured and free artisans built Christ Church. It is the finest and best preserved parish church in Virginia. The building retains most of its original elements, including its molded-brick doorways, classical entablature, high-backed pews, triple-deck pulpit, and stone pavers. The elaborately carved tombs of Robert Carter and his two wives stand in the churchyard. The site includes an interactive museum, gift shop, research library, and a conference/education center. Special educational programs and community events take place throughout the year. Since 1958, the Foundation for Historic Christ Church has led preservation and interpretation of the site.